1 pot roast (about 4 pounds), such as bottom round or chuck
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup Filfil No.8
1/2 cup Filfil No.6
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup chicken or beef broth
1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 tablespoon bottled mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 large onion (1/2 pound), chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- Heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Put the vegetable oil in large ovenproof Dutch oven, and brown meat well from all sides - about 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix all sauce ingredients well and add to the pot. Bring to a boil.
- Place in oven and bake, covered, for 3 to 4 hours, turning meat every hour, until fork-tender.
- Remove from oven and let stand at least 30 minutes.
- Remove meat from pot. Skim fat if you wish. Slice beef and serve with sauce.